From China to USA
Shi Xiaofan as known as Quentin Shih is a Chinese photographer self made man who share his time between New York and Beijing.
Quentin Shih made his first photo during his university studies. After graduation, the artist moved to Beijing and began his career as a professional photographer.
From 2000 to 2002, he participated in numerous exhibitions in China and the United States and start with great skill looking closely in advertising photography as well as fashion photography.
In 2008, Quentin Shih is selected by Christian Dior to participate in the exhibition "Dior and Chinese contemporary artists' at the occasion of the 40th anniversary of Dior at the Centre for Contemporary Art in Beijing Ullens. Since then Quentin Shih is working closely with the fashion house Christian Dior, for which he directed, through his series, the new couture collections of the brand.
Quentin Shih also works with other brands for advertising and fashion such as Adidas, Sony Ericsson, IBM, Yahoo, McDonald's, Nokia, Siemens, LG, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and Esquire, etc..
The Stranger in the Glass Box
The Stranger In The Glass Box and Shanghai Dreamers are the result of a collaboration with Dior. His photographies are the meeting between French elegance 1970/80 and the ascetic China. But also: Hong Kong time ... The dancing people ... A certain kind of ritual, Portraits of dancing youths, The Departing youths, Citizen of the state, Reminiscences in a vacuum, Three bottles for sale, etc ...
His photographic work is narrative, original and rooted in Chinese culture.
His series are expressed in large empty spaces that enhance dramatic, ceremonial and emotional lines.
Quentin Shih was able to create his own language. His work focuses on the relationship between people ; the interaction between Chinese culture and Western culture. These themes are convey with some derision and the photographies in large format are noteworthy.
The confrontation between the "Western style" and yet austere and traditional China that is depicted through his work with Dior is appealing. The photographies are brighten, with sharp contours and an acute light. They is a meeting point between reality and mystery.
With its advertising campaigns, Quentin Shih won many prestigious awards. He won the "Photographer of the Year" in 2007 by the Esquire Chinese Magazine and was awarded with the prize Hasselblad Masters Awards in 2009.
Museums & Collections
Quentin Shih photographies are exhibited in major contemporary fairs (Art Basel Miami, FIAC 2011, ...) and his work continues to be shown in many countries such as China, the U.S., Singapore, France, Korea, etc…
Some of his works were purchased by major public and private collections: Danforth Museum of Art Worcester Art Museum (Massachusetts), Museum of Modern Art, Moscow, LACMA (Art Museum of Los Angeles County, California) Mint Museum (South Carolina), Centre for Contemporary Art in Beijing.
An exhibition is currently held at the Museum of China in Paris (January–April 2013) and an exhibition about the Wuhan series will be held at Inception Gallery during the first semester of 2013.
Considered one of the most promising Chinese photographers of his generation, this young artist tends to an international increasing success and recognition.
2014 / Art Paris, Paris Grand Palais
2013 / Inception Gallery, Paris - Solo Show du 31/10 au 14/12/2013
2013 / UNCANNY, The Contemporary Art Galleries, Connecticut, US (group)
2013 / Quentin Shih, Antonio Nardone | Bruxelles,
Brussels, Belgium (solo)
2013 / Inception Gallery, Paris, Carlos Betancourt, Marcus Lyon, Quentin Shih, M.A Sanchez, (group)
2013 / 10 Years Of Images ! Images Magazine 2003 – 2013, Paris, France (group)
2013 / La Maison Européenne de la Photographie, Paris, France (group)
2013 / Draw and Shoot: Fashion Illustrations and Photography from the Collection, Boca Raton Museum of Art, Florida, US (group)
- 100 Photographs se mobilisent contre le SIDA, Grand Palais, Paris, France
- Foto Fever, Brussels, Belgium
- SCOPE Basel, Basel, Switzerland
- Young Art Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
- Art Palm Beach, Palm Beach, FL, USA
- Photo l.a, Los Angeles, LA, USA
- «Christian Dior and Quentin Shih» solo exhibition at SHOW OFF, Paris, France
- SH Contemporary, Shanghai, China
- Art Basel Miami, USA
- Texas Contemporary Art Fair, USA
- Show Off, FIAC, Paris, France
- ArtAspen, USA
- ArtHamptons, USA (group)
- Lady Dior: Art & Handbag Exhibition, Shanghai, China (group) - Christian Dior – Hong Kong Moment, Hong Kong (solo)
- Ritual Of Remembrance, Yang Gallery, Beijing, China (solo)
- PhotoGlobal – New Release, Brooklyn, New York (group)
- Christian Dior - Shanghai Dreamers, Shanghai, China (solo)
- Christian Dior presents photographs by Quentin Shih, Costa Mesa, California, US (solo)
- The Stranger in the Glass Box, ION Art Gallery, Singapore (solo)
- Women of Many Faces - Portraits of Isabelle Huppert, Ullens Center for Contemporary Art (UCCA), Beijing, China (group)
- Christian Dior, 60 years in photography, Museum of Modern Art, Moscow, Russia (group)
- Dior with Chinese Artists, Ullens Center for Contemporary Art (UCCA), Beijing, China (group))